Rogers Park News
Public group · 10,543 members
Join Group
Have discussions, and share stories and photos of Rogers Park.

Rogers Park's only Public facebook group

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I spent much of Memorial Day weekend away from Rogers Park to attend celebrations. I experienced BBQ, bonfires, a nature retreat, and time with my family. What is really on my mind though is, where I travelled to, over 100 miles away, I experienced a Memorial to the Veterans and those who did not make it back from wartime alive. There were veterans in uniforms, a 21 gun salute and Taps. Rogers Park did not have any memorial services, to my knowledge... and nothing as moving as what I experienced.

The more I travel away from Rogers Park and return, the more aware I become of how static and bland our neighborhood often is. Where are the street parades on Independence Day? Where are our live performances in the park of major recording artists and new touring acts? I haven't seen a 5k benefit run along the Lake for anything in Rogers Park. No large tree for the Holidays. No Day of the Dead Celebration.

Forget calling a street, "the Heart of Rogers Park", where is Rogers Park's Heart?

No comments: