Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Smith Museum of Stained Glass at Navy Pier- A portion of Rogers Park History

Rogers Park has a distinct history that is still seen in the remaining historic architecture. Some of that architecture is at the Smith Museum of Stained Glass at Navy Pier. 

David Torrey, former Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society President, stated " so many have joined the ash pile" in regards to the beautiful work seen below in Rogers Park. 

Pair of windows from the Oscar Steffens House, 1909
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) and possibly fabricated by the Linden Glass Company, Chicago. From the Oscar Steffens House, Chicago, demolished.
“Located near Lake Michigan, the Steffens residence was a two-story cruciform-plan Prarie style house with a two-story-high living room.
These panels are an excellent example of Frank Lloyd Wright’s use of both the plane and the diagonal for which he is justly famous. Wright’s use of the diagonal as a powerful decorative element may have Native-American origins, but could just as easily been derived by Wright through his intimate knowledge of comtemporary German design motifsa based on clusters of parallel diagonal lines.
In the formative years of the 20th century this style of window was so startingly new that other artists who wanted to be avante-garde could not avoid it. More than a decade after Wright had done his striking designs, artists such as Piet Mondrain were influenced by them and produced startingly modern paintings composed of rectilinear areas of strong inner tension.

Above are images from the Stained Glass Museum for a Frank Lloyd Wright House in Rogers Park.

The above two images are Paschke's. He created pieces like this out of film from the historic Adelphi Theater.

No Fumare, por Favore (No Smoking Please), 1997
Ed Paschke

“This experimental digital work was created with various computer processes and printed as a hard copy three-dimensional work called PHSCologram. Pronounced skol-o-gram, the name of this new media work is an acronym for photography, holography, sculpture, and computer graphics. Although it looks like stained glass, there is no actual glass, only a printed interleaved image on film adhered to Plexiglas with a corresponding barrier screen”.

The above images are stained glass from Rogers Park

The Four Seasons, c. 1907-08
After Alphonse Mucha by an unidentified artist and fabricator, possibly Mucha himself or under Mucha’s supervision, in Chicago. Made for a house at 6502 North Sheridan Road, Chicago.
“These Art Nouveau windows were removed from the house, now demolished, built at 6502 North Sheridan Road in about 1907. The year before, 1906, the internationally acclaimed Czech artist Alphonse Mucha, his wife Maruska, their cook and several servants moved to Chicago.  Mucha set up a studio, painted, and taught painting at The Art Institute of Chicago for two months. He also lectured and gave tutorials at the Pallet and Chisel Club, and was roundly celebrated by the Czech and Bohemian community. Dividing time between Chicago and New York, Mucha remained in Chicago on and off until 1909”.


No comments: